Best Blogger Tips

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A monster of a cookie...

I didn't grow up in the kind of family with traditions so I am huge on just making up my own. It's been part of the adventure to see what things stick. These have stuck.



4th of July now means Monster Cookies.

Much to my husband's dismay, I am posting our family's monster cookie recipe. He doesn't realize you can google and find a million versions of this recipe. I love that his grandma...now our grandma, has been making these cookies for more then thirty years. (Not on 4th of July-that's our tradition!) I love that this recipe has meaning. And mostly I love that we have figured out how to make these cookies an EVENT.

Before the actual recipe, you should know that these cookies require some unconventional things.

You need a girlfriend-One that lets you come over without showering (in awhile) and still tells you how beautiful you are. It helps if she looks just as bad as you and even more if she won't let you photograph her because she isn't even wearing a bra.


You need really big bowls. Really. Think nine cups of oatmeal. And guns...you can skip your arm workout... guilt-free. Grandma mixes them with her hands... but  her friends aren't germaphobes.

You need children to eat burnt toasted ones...and feel indulged.

You need to skip breakfast. THESE are breakfast. Oatmeal and eggs...again guilt-free.


And you need a strong sense of conviction to ration them out. After all,  they are as big as two cookies and 4 dozen go quickly when you are planning a 4th of July picnic for your entire tribe.




Monster Cookies
9 cups oatmeal
2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons vanilla
1 pound of brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
6 eggs
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups of coconut
3 cups of peanut butter
2 large bags of chocolate chips
Combine wet ingredients in one large bowl. Cream sugars and baking powder into wet mixture. In a ginormous bowl combine oatmeal, coconut, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. Mix it all together.
Use two scoops of batter to form each cookie and gently smoosh them into semi-cookie shape.
Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.


Now I want a cookie.

5 comments:

  1. I want one too! And not wearing a bra! What kind of company do you keep??

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you making these again? I want some....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go to the grocery store and I'll make the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll go to the grocery store if Jason will let you come over and we'll make them again and split them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about J goes to the grocery store, you make them, and I'll bring the milk. : )

    ReplyDelete